Sunday, March 25, 2012

Skinny Sorbet - for real!


I've been looking for healthy ways to eat yummy food. A year ago, we found out my husband has an autoimmune disorder. One of the odd side effects is a bout with Type II Diabetes. I also have a history of stroke and heart issues in my family, and decided it's time to really take my health seriously.

We've tried many different non-sugar-sweeteners, and our absolute favorite so far is Truvia (a brand of Stevia). I know there is a lot of controversy about sweeteners, but I am comfortable with both Stevia and Splenda products. To each his own :)

In my quest to add variety to our treat-eating, I came up with a really simple, yummy smoothie/sorbet. I'm in heaven! Here's what it looks like:
This is right out of the blender, so it's a little runny, more like a very thick smoothie. If you put it in the freezer for an hour or two, it's more sorbet-ish. I use a Magic Bullet. It really makes it creamy. The only downside is I can only make one or two servings at a time. I'm holding out for a Blend-tec at some point down the road, but for now, my Magic Bullet is the bomb!


Caryl's Skinny Strawberry Sorbet

*3/4 cup unsweetened frozen strawberries
*1/8 to 1/4 cup cold water
*1 tsp Truvia
*1/8 cup Cytomax® Protein Pure Performance Drink, Tropical Fruit (see note)

Combine & blend until smooth. Try not to get a brain freeze. One serving is roughly 44 calories and 4 net carbs. Seriously cool!

NOTE: The Cytomax is optional, but adds a wonderful, sugar free topical flavor, along with some protein. I usually buy it at a local weight-loss clinic, but I've also found it at Amazon.com. It is listed as "ready to drink" but it's really concentrated. We use it as a drink concentrate, and mix 1/8 to 1/4 bottle with 16 ounces of water for a great fruity protein drink. Love this stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment