Sunday, March 25, 2012

UN-Tangled

So...I'm on a dejunking-sorting-organizing kick. I also LOVE Pinterest. Between the two, I see potential organizational possibilities in lots of stuff. For instance...this container. It used to be full of cheese puffs that we bought from Sam's Club for the family snack table at my daughter's wedding. Normally, I would NEVER buy a container of cheese puffs this big!



Once it was empty, I washed it, pulled the labels off, and turned it into this:


Instead of tangled yarn in a bag, now it's organized! The container holds 7 skeins of yarn, so I used a hole punch to put 7 holes in the lid to pull the yarn through. I cut out some cute letters, and used my Xyron adhesive to put them on. It was awkward to pick up & carry, so I made a handle out of some other supplies I had on hand. I cut a piece of plastic tubing and threaded some ribbon through it. I punched holes in the sides of the jug, threaded the ends of the ribbon through and tied knots inside. Voila! A handle! (Thanks Carrie, for teaching me how to use plastic tubing as a handle!) The skeins in this new container belong to a half-finished afghan that I started last winter. With any luck, I can post a photo of the finished afghan by Christmas 2012 (LOL!)


Still in an organize-my-yarn mood, I took an empty cleaning wipe container and made a mini version of the same thing. I rinsed it (it should be VERY clean, right?), pulled the label off, and covered it with cute scrapbook paper that matched the orange lid. It only holds one skein, but keeps it from getting all tangled. The lid closes easily over the one strand hanging out, so I can see what color it is. I'm definitely making more of these! I'm a little germophobic, and my husband's immune system is NOT good, so I buy cleaning wipes by the three-pack at Sam's or Costco. Hence, getting the containers isn't an issue :D I'm so excited to get more of my craft stuff organized!

No comments:

Post a Comment