Sunday, June 24, 2012

Cream Cheese Frosting

I've never made homemade cream cheese frosting. I know. Until today! I had a mix for pumpkin cake, and wanted cream cheese frosting, but I didn't have any store-bought tub frosting on hand. I don't shop on Sundays...and I had a brick of cream cheese, so I Googled recipes and managed to improvise and make some with what I had on hand. It turned out great!!! Excellent cream cheese taste! Not just vanilla frosting with a hint of cream cheese. It's the real deal.

Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 8 oz cream cheese (soften to room temperature)
  • 1/2 cup salted butter (soften to room temperature)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 1/2 - 4 cups powdered sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
Note: I use a Kitchen Aid mixer. I grew up with one, and don't know what I'd do without it! Recently, I've been using a sifter for flour and powdered sugar, and I like the results. I also like salted butter. I think the salt helps take away some of the "too sweet" taste. You can also use margarine and 1/4 tsp. of salt instead of butter.

Combine the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla - beat until fluffy. Sift the powdered sugar, add 2 cups, and blend until smooth. Add another cup, and blend. Continue adding 1/4 - 1/2 cup powdered sugar until you get the consistency you want.

I'm thinking this would also be excellent with a touch of lemon extract, especially on chocolate cake or sugar cookies...I may try it sometime.




No comments:

Post a Comment